It’s been too long, I know…

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 by Rintaun | Uncategorized

…but, I guess there’s nothing I can do about it now. I leave to come back to the States in 5 days. It’s crazy. Before I get to what I actually want to post about, let me make excuses just a little bit. This second semester in Japan was very, very difficult. If I thought the first semester was hectic, I didn’t know what hectic was. But that’s not what this is about, so I’ll move on.

In stark contrast to the last 3 months or so, today was the best day I’ve had in a very long time. Remember my homestay family from way back in November? I may also have mentioned that I visited them again around the beginning of March. Well I spent the entire day with them, today, and it was wonderful. It really brought an awesome end to my time in Japan, I think.

To sum up my day, hmm… it was like being with family. It was relaxing and fun and I had a blast. I’m really, really beat though so I’m going to rush through it a bit.

The day started off bright and early at 7:30am. I got up, at breakfast, and then chilled around the dorm until I caught the bus to the train station, and then the train to Tajimi City. All in all I was on the train for about 15 minutes; I was surprised because by car it takes so much longer… I arrived at Tajimi Station as planned just before 9:30am; Father and Daughter were waiting outside to pick me up.

From the station we went back to the granparents’ house. We talked for a bit and then I (by popular demand) again showed my repertoire of simple card tricks. Everyone was a little bit nervous and awkward at first, of course myself included, by as time went by everyone (again including me) opened up as we had done twice before.

The rest of the day was so much fun that I can’t properly remember what order it happened in, but I’m *pretty sure* that it happened like I’m about to describe it.

After some time playing various different games (including a couple involving Shogi, or Japanese Chess, pieces), we went to a ramen shop for lunch. It’s been a while since I’ve gone to one, and it was pretty good. From there we went to the movie theater. I really wanted to pay for myself, but I’m just about 100% sure they wouldn’t have let me. At the movie theater we saw Disney’s new(ish?) movie, Bolt. It’s about a dog with the same name, and it was rather good. Of course, it was all in Japanese, so I only understood about 90% of it, but it was good.

After the movie we went back to the grandparents’ house and hung out in the barn/shed/playroom/workroom (lol) for the next couple hours. It was fun. We played tag and hide and seek (though it was too small to really play to our heart’s desire, and it was raining outside), and we played in the hammock that hangs in the barn. This isn’t just any hammock, either, it’s a large, square hammock that could hold about 3 adults. If I threw my weight around a little bit on it, I could send the kids flying in the air. It was fun. XD

After that we went to dinner at a place called Meshi-ya (literally, “Fooder” in the sense of “Baker” or “Butcher” or “Food House”). It was a kind of cafeteria-style family restaurant and it was pretty good.

The original plan was to go to the Tajimi City fireworks festival, but it either got canceled by the rain and rescheduled to Wednesday, or was always scheduled for Wednesday to begin with. I missed which it was. But in any case, we couldn’t go, so after we got back from dinner, we set off our own fireworks — in the rain. It went surprisingly well. I think we only had 2 duds, and that might not even have been because of the rain.

After the fireworks were over, we went back inside and sat around eating watermelon and melon for a bit, then finally they drove me home. Unlike the last time, the kids came too. After all, this time I’m going home for good. It was a nice car ride, and it was nice to be able to talk to them the entire way home. It was really like I had three younger siblings all day.

Thank you so much, Maeda family!

That’s all for now. I don’t think I’m going to have time to write again before I get back to the States, so I will say it now: see you soon. :)
Hopefully once I get back, I will have the chance to tell you of my as-yet unchronicled adventures in Japan.

Until then, sayonara!

1 Comment to It’s been too long, I know…

August 3, 2009

All of us are eagerly awaiting for Thursday to come and then you will be home! Love, Mama

Leave a comment

Spam protection by WP Captcha-Free


August 2009
« May   Feb »

Random Image